A new lobster and seafood eatery, Hook & Anchor, is opening January 18 on Balboa Peninsula in the spot where The Beach Barrel Grill once served its Barrel Burger, homemade pesto and BBQ chicken pizza. The small restaurant is located directly next to Newport Fresh along Newport Blvd., a block east of the gas station. Its décor looks similar to its sushi-serving neighbor; brightly lit, narrow, with cherry-red stools and chairs for diners to enjoy a variety of seafood dishes.
As for whether Hook & Anchor will live up to its predecessors’ status as a go-to Peninsula delivery option, we’ll just have the wait and see when the anchor drops in a few days.
The website, so far, doesn’t reveal much (the social media icons at the bottom navigation are yet to be activated) but its menu does announce Hook & Anchor will serve “seasonal fish, crab and lobster – Good in every way.”
Highlights of the menu include:
- Po’ Boys made from a choice of fried shrimp, soft shell crab, Guinness-battered cod or oyster on French bread with lettuce, tomato, pickles, seasoned mayo and Louisiana Sauce.
- “Sammies” with salmon, swordfish, sea bass, Mahimahi, Ono, (usually served raw, so we will see) Guinness-battered cod or flat iron steak).
- The “Crusty Crab,” a 4 oz. jumbo lump crab cake with pickled lemon dill mayo, herb salad and tomato on a brioche bun.
- Fish Tacos made from a choice of Guinness-beer battered cod, grilled and blackened Mahimahi or Cajun shrimp with seasoned slaw, chipotle crema and corn pico de gallo on a corn tortilla.
- There’s also Surf ‘n’ Turf, Baja shrimp cocktail and more sea-faring meals up for grabs, but we’ll let you check out the full menu right here.
The micro-restaurant arrives on Balboa Peninsula at an interesting time, just as Circle Hook Fish Co. prepares to open its doors at Lido Marina Village. And while this menu notably doesn’t use the word “local,” (Circle Hook will serve fish caught by Dory Fleet fishermen) it may prove a good take-out spot for residents seeking a quick bite.
But sound off, Balboa Peninsula … Will you try Hook & Anchor when it opens Jan. 18?